Match Report: 2-1 defeat away at Paks FC

Only Szabolcs Schön could answer to the double of Barnabas Varga, the top scorer in the NB I, as our team suffered a 2-1 defeat in Paks. 

In the 23rd round of the OTP Bank Liga NB I we were the guests of Paksi FC. Szabolcs Huszti named the following eleven Vidi players in the starting line-up for the match, which kicked off on Saturday at 17:00: Kovács D. - Nego, Csongvai, Larsen, Heister - Flores, Alef - Katona, Houri, Schön - Kodro. Serafimov was still out after his injury, while Levente Szabó has not yet been included in the match squad after his viral infection, and Szilveszter Hangya was also absent due to a knee injury - team doctor Dr. Tibor Kovács told us before kick-off.

Paks started the match more actively, in the 2nd minute Windecker headed a free kick by Bőle wide of the goal. A quarter of an hour into the match, Windecker's cross was headed wide by Varga. About a minute later, György Bognár had to make an injury substitution, with Szélpál coming on for Kádár. 

In the 24th minute the VAR checked Heister's touch inside our box, but there was no foul and Paks were not awarded a penalty. Two minutes later, the VAR was at work again, Kodro found the home goal, but he did it from a position of being offside, so the score remained 0-0. 

In the 30th minute Paks FC took the lead: a ball from Windecker was headed into the goal by Barnabás Varga from close range (1-0). The home team kept attacking, in the 32nd minute Bőle's shot went over the goal, and in the 35th minute Varga's shot was blocked by Heister. In the one-minute of injury time of the first half, we managed to equalize: Szabolcs Schön received a great ball from Houri and lifted it nicely from 16 meters over Simon (1-1).

The second half started with a header from Kodro, but the effort missed the goal.  In the 55th minute, Alef  fouled inside the box with Hahn falling to the ground, and after a short video call, referee Berke pointed firmly to the spot. Barnabás Varga stood behind the ball and although Dani Kovács sensed the direction of the ball, he could not keep it out (2-1). In the 61st minute Alef's long-range shot missed the home goal and in the 69th minute Windecker's shot was well saved by Kovács. The action continued and in the 85th minute, Balogh's free-kick was headed over by Böde from a few metres out. Three minutes later, Kastrati gave a great ball to Dárdai, who shot from 11 metres towards the short bottom corner, but the Paks goalkeeper made a great save. 

We put the home team under pressure in the last minutes, but we could not equalize. Next week Budapest Honvéd FC will visit the MOL Arena Sóstó.

Author: David Rechnitzer

More news