Honved win the league title as Vidi finish runners-up

Marton Eppel scored the games only goal in the second half, which gave Honved the 3 points and the title.

Rarely was there so much interest in a Hungarian league match as today's. All tickets were quickly sold for the match in Kispest between the two top sides. It was dressed as the title decider with both sides locked on the same number of points ahead of the game. However, the home side had won more games over the course of the season, which meant they led the table. Some 1700 supporters travelled down from Szekesfehervar to the Bozsik stadium, while several hundred watched the game live from the city.

The action kicked off with Vidi in their all white strip. Lazovic sent in a dangerous curling ball after 5 minutes from a free kick. Grof punched the ball clear for the home team. Suljic then did well to release Scepovics moments later, and the forward ran alone on goal towards keeper Grof, but the keeper managed to save the ball. There were niggling fouls throughout the game, especially with the home side breaking up the game. Nego found himself on the floor on the half hour mark after being squeezed out by a defender, but referee Bognar waved play on. 

Lanzafame's free kick on 38 minutes was headed towards goal from close range by Kamber, but Kovacsik reacted really well to palm the ball away. A Koszta long range shot on 44 minutes brought the first half to an end.

The game did not change too much in the second half with plenty of fouls continuing to disrupt the flow of the game. Lazovic hit a 35 meters free kick after 51 minutes, but Grof dealt with it comfortably. 

It was the home side that went ahead after 60 minutes. Ikenne-King sent a low ball in from the right, which Eppel stuck his leg out to from close range to make it 1-0. Nego broke into the box after 70 minutes and again found himself on the floor, but again the referee did not blow his whistle. Suljic brought Geresi in to play minutes later, but a home defender was well placed to deal with it and clear the danger. The Kispest side played out the remaining minutes of the game to clinch their first league title since 1993. Videoton, just like last season, will have to make do with a second place finish.

Author: David Rechnitzer

More news