Match Report: Three goal defeat at the Groupama Arena

The teams went in at the break 1-1 but Vidi had to play the second half with 10 men.

Match 29 of the NB I OTP league took place at the Groupama Arena on Saturday evening. Second in the table MOL Vidi FC travelled to Budapest to take on first place FTC. It was the fifth meeting between the two sides this season with Vidi having won three and drawn one of those. There was a place on the bench for Marko Scepovic who suffered an injury in the Hungarian Cup second leg game with Ferencvaros recently.

Early lead for the home side and then Nego levelled - Vidi went in at the break a man down. 

The home side started the match better and they took the lead on 7 minutes. Petryak fed a low ball through the middle and into the path of Tokmac, who bent his shot beyond the hand of Kovacsik (1-0). Vidi came more into the game after that goal and placed plenty of pressure on the green and whites from the 18th minute onwards. The equaliser came after 21 minutes. Huszti's low shot came back off the post and Nego was alert to send the rebound into the back of the net (1-1). It was the same goal that he had volleyed a lovely goal against Chelsea in the EL Group stage game.

The middle of the pitch dominated the game in the minutes that followed with the 16,127 inside the Groupama providing a good atmosphere. The two sides were heading for the break with the score level when Hadzic picked up his second yellow and referee Berke sent him off in stoppage time. 

Armin Hodzic did not come out for the second half with Krisztian Tamas replacing him. Kovacsik pulled off a very good save after 47 minutes when he denied Signevic. The two collided and the Vidi keeper was back up on his feet after quick treatment. A long range Huszti shot was saved by home keeper Dibusz a minute later. Tokmac played Heister in behind the visiting defence after 53 minutes and he lifted the ball over Kovacsik, but the assistant referee raised his flag for offside and the score remained at 1-1.

Signevic powered a shot at goal from a tight angle after 57 minutes. Kovacsik was equal to it and his save resulted in a corner for the home side. Isael took it and Kharatin lifted his header at the far post into the back of the net (2-1). FTC were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box after Vinicius brought down Petryak. Lanzafame had recently

Elek sent his header at goal following a Milanov corner 10 minutes from time, which Dibusz comfortably collected. The keeper then set Fradi on a counter attack with a quick throw and Petryak went down the left and sent his shot just wide of goal. A Lovrencsic cross found Varga who shot from close range but that brought a very good save out Kovacsik. Two minutes later and Elek lost possession inside his half and Bole brought Lanzafame into play. He calmly beat Kovacsik to make the game save and a 4-1 result for the Budapest side. 

Vidi trail leaders Ferencvaros by 11 points with four games remaining. MOL Vidi have a home league game against Puskas Academy next weekend at the MOL Arena Sosto.

Author: David Rechnitzer

More news