MOL Vidi make it into the Hungarian Cup final with a 4-0 aggregate win

Goals from Futacs, Elek and Huszti gave Vidi a 3-0 second leg win at Debrecen.

A first leg goal from Marko Futacs gave MOL Vidi FC a 1-0 first leg lead at the MOL Arena Sosto on the 16th April. The second leg was played a week later at the Nagyerdei stadium on the 23rd April. 

Vidi had to make do without the suspended central defensive pairing of Roland Juhasz and Paulo Vinicius. Marko Nikolic and goalkeeping coach Istvan Brockhauser were also banned from the touchline and watched the game from the stands. Vidi went with a central defensive partnership of Akos Elek and Anel Hadzic with Stopira playing at right back and Loic Nego just ahead of him on the right wing. That meant it was a 4-4-2 formation with Istvan Kovacs playing as one of the forwards. Starting for Debrecen were Richard Csocz and Daniel Zsori with Erik Kusnyir also featuring. The trio of Kinyik-Tozser and Ferenczi all began the match.

The first minutes of the game were mainly played in the middle of the pitch without a chance of note until the 12th minute. A corner from Milanov was met by the head of Stopira, but the ball went just wide. Kovacs then had a good chance 3 minutes later after flicking the ball through the legs of Kinyik and hitting a low shot from 14 meters, which keeper Kosicky saved. 

Milanov broke down the left after 19 minutes and his low ball in was almost flicked on by Nego, but the ball eventuallly bounced over. Referee Ivanyi awarded a free kick to the home side. Another 3 minutes passed when Nego took the ball down the right with Kovacs doing well to take the defender with him, which allowed Futacs to remain unmarked inside the box. The forward controlled the ball before sending his left foot shot wide of the post.

The first chance for Debrecen arrived after 28 minutes: Bodi crossed from the right and Elek made contact with the ball, which fell to Csosz but keeper Kovacsik denied him when he had a good chance on goal with Hadzic eventually clearing the danger. 

The game had several chances with Vidi always looking comfortable to defend their first leg lead. Nego and Stopira linked up well to take the ball into the Debrecen half. The move ended with Stopira shooting over from 18 meters. A 39th minute Milanov corner again found Stopira, and his header from 8 meters was saved by keeper Kosicky. 

Tozser had a 30 meter free kick right on half time, which missed the goal while Bodi's corner was flicked wide by Kinyik. The two sides went in at the break with the score at 0-0.

There were no changes at half time with the second half starting with a chance for Vidi. There were 48 minutes on the clock when a corner was headed towards goal by Futacs, but it did not hit the target. Tozser had a free kick at the other end for the home side from around 30 meters. However, it went well over keeper Kovacsik's goal. Nikolov stopped a counter attack from Debrecen after 58 minutes to go into the book. 

Takacs and Szecsi came on for Kevin Varga and Zsori after 63 minutes. A free kick from Tozser ended with Haris trying his luck inside the box, but the ball was blocked and went over the bar. 

The all important breakthrough came after 66 minutes: Pataki got hold of the ball and the ball made its was to the feet of Futacs, who sent his powerful low shot from 17 meters into the back of the net (0-1). Vidi made a change following that goal with Milanov coming off to be replaced by Huszti. Csosz pulled the ball back and sent his shot from 20 meters just wide of the post on 72 minutes. MOL Vidi then doubled their lead on the night and made the game safe: Elek headed home a Huszti corner with the ball creeping under the body of keeper Kosicky (0-2).

Bodi was replaced by Damasdi after 75 minutes for DVSC. There was still time for the home team to have a goal disallowed for offside after 82 minutes. That meant the score remained at 0-2 and 0-3 on aggregate. Scepovic came on as the final substitution for Kovacs on 89 minutes. 

The two minutes of injury time saw Futacs find Scepovic, who tried to take the ball around the keeper, but was brought down. Referee Ivanyi pointed at the spot and Huszti confidently dispatched his low shot into the corner of the net to make it 0-3.

The final whistle blew and Vidi secured a 4-0 aggregate win to make it into the final of the Hungarian Cup for the sixth time. 

Author: David Rechnitzer

More news