Match Report: Win away at Ujpest secures second place

Videoton ran out comfortable 3-0 winners on Saturday afternoon to pick up second spot in the OTP league.

Vidi made the visit to Ujpest in the final game of the 2015/16 season on Saturday afternoon. The target was simple: a win and second place in the OTP league table, which would also mean Europa League football. Ujpest went into the game with nothing to play for having confirmed sixth place. Manager Ferenc Horvath chose an unchanged side from the team that had beaten MTK last weekend.

The game started with big a chance for the home side. Bardhi hit a powerful shot, which went wide of the post from 12 meters in the first minute. The game then settled down with virtually no real chances in the first half of the first 45 minutes. The game then turned on the half hour mark when Ujpest keeper Balajcza handled an Oliveira shot outside his area. The match official showed a straight red card and Ujpest were reduced to 10 men. Home manager Vignjevics brought off Erin Bardhit in order that David Banai could go in goal. The keeper was in action straight away as he pulled off a good save from a powerful Tischler free kick. The final moment of the first half saw Patkai play in Tischler, who shot from 11 meters, which produced a good save from Banai.

There were no changes made at half time be either manager as the second half kicked off. The first chance arrived after 51 minutes: Suljic ran alone at goal with the ball, but a defender managed to get back to tackle the Bosnian when he was well placed to shoot. The next big chance came a minute later but that was also missed. Nego was unselfish when he played in Tischler, but the forward could only shoot straight at keeper Banai from 12 meters out. The breakthrough arrived on 55 minutes when Nego found the top right corner with an excellent shot to make it 0-1.

The action continued with an Andric header, which was not too powerful and ended up in the arms of Danilovics. Geresi then sent in a good ball from the left 10 minutes later, for Nego who arrived at the far post, to volley at goal, but Banai was well placed to deal with it. Videoton extended their lead on 77 minutes. Geresi beat his marker Heris, and cut the ball back for Tischler to find the back of the net from 8 meters, (0-2.)

Mohl put the ball in the back of the net for Ujpest after 81 minutes, but the linesman had earlier flagged for offside. Stopira had a chance towards the end, but his close range shot was blocked by Banai. The final moment of the game produced a further goal for the red and blues. Juhasz scored with a shot from 18 meters out to make the final score 0-3 and secure Europa League football in the summer.

The 400 travelling supporters celebrated at the end together with the players and coaching staff. They then received a runner's up medal, which the supporters remained inside the Ferenc Szusza stadium to witness.

Videoton FC ended the OTP league 2015-16 season with a second place finish. Well done lads!


Author: David Rechnitzer

More news