Match Report: Important win against Kisvárda

The visitors took the lead, but with goals from Serafimov, Kodro and Flores we were able to turn the game around!

OTP Bank Liga, 2023-2024, Autumn season, Round 8

1 October Sunday

Fehérvár FC


Sóstói Stadion Székesfehérvár

Kisvárda Master Good

Fehérvár FC

Tóth Balázs - Schön Szabolcs , Gergényi Bence , Nikola Serafimov , Csongvai Áron , Bese Barnabás - Katona Mátyás (Kasper Larsen 82') , Kalmár Zsolt (Franck Bambock 88') , Deybi Flores - Mamoudou Karamoko (Szabó Levente 25') , Kenan Kodro

Kisvárda Master Good

Petkovic Danijel - Jovicic Aleksandar , Ötvös Bence (Széles Imre Antal 46') , Camaj Driton , Melnyik Bohdan , Vida Kristopher (Balogh Norbert Sándor 62') , Cipetic Branimir (Nikolov Boban 77') , Navratil Jaroslav , Kovacic Dominik (Makowski Rafal 69') , Mesanovic Jasmin (Ilievski Mario 46') , Lippai Tibor

Match officials
Erdös József

Erdös József

Tóth II. Vencel, Szert Balázs, Antal Péter, Pillók Ádám,

In the 8th round of the OTP Bank Liga our team hosted Kisvárda at 15:00pm at the Sóstói Stadion on Sunday. Bartosz Grzelak could not count on Attila Fiola due to suspension, and Szilveszter Hangya, Milán Pető and Csaba Spandler were absent due to injury. Before the meeting we had a minutes silence to mourn our former masseur Ferenc Molnár, who passed away on Friday. 

The match started with a Kodro chance in the 3rd minute, then Kisvárda took the lead in the 11th minute after Camaj stuck a smart goal into the far top corner from 9 meters (0-1). In the 25th minute Karamoko asked to be replaced, our striker was substituted by Levente Szabó. Three minutes later we equalised! After a long throw-in by Gergényi, Kalmár headed the ball back into the centre of the penalty area and Serafimov made a beautiful move to nod the ball into the net (1-1)! With just over half an hour gone, Jovicic dived into Flores' cross and referee Erdős awarded a penalty for handling, but after a VAR review he eventually reversed his decision - the ball probably hit the Kisvárda defender on the back. Towards the end of the half, first Szabó Levente accidentally slid the ball onto his own post, then at the other end Kodro twice and Katona once had great chances, but twice our players hit the wrong ball, and Petkovic made a great save from a close range shot by our Bosnian striker. 

We started the second half with great momentum, in the 47th minute Petkovic made a smart save from Katona's free-kick, and nine minutes later Kalmár's shot was saved by the visitors' goalkeeper, but he was helpless to save Katona's close range effort from the rebound - but VAR disallowed the goal. Fortunately, we didn't have to worry about that for long, because in the 59th minute Kodro shot from 15 metres into the bottom right corner (2-1). 

Sixty-seven minutes into the match, Kalmar's 21-metre free kick was brilliantly pushed onto the post by the in-form Petkovic, and three minutes later, Kalmar's free kick was smartly saved on the left and the effort missed the target. Kisvárda also threatened 12 minutes before the end of normal time, when former national team striker Norbert Balogh, who came on as a substitute, spun the ball over the goal from the five-yard line. Kasper Larsen came on for Mátyás Katona in the 82nd minute, the Danish defender naturally coming on in defence, and Bambock came on for Kalmár in the 88th minute. The referee added five minutes, at the end of which Deybi Flores scored from 18 metres out to the bottom left after a pass from Levente Szabó (3-1)! We kept the three points at home on Sunday afternoon against Kisvárda. Next up in a week on Sunday at 13:00 against MTK.

Author: David Rechnitzer

More news