A one goal defeat in Manchester gives hope for the return leg

The team coped with the home pressure until the 60th minute, when Stapleton found the back of the net. The players battled hard to keep the score to 1-0.

In rainy weather and in front of 35,000 supporters, Vidi were visitors at Old Trafford against Manchester United, in the UEFA cup quarter-final, first leg.

It was Videoton who kicked off, but as expected, it was United that took over the play. A Paul McGrath volley on 5 minutes went wide of the post. Stapleton saw his header saved by Disztl shortly after. Mark Hughes then had a shot that again found the Vidi keeper after 9 minutes. The red devils found the back of the net on the quarter hour mark. The young Welsh striker's effort was ruled offside by match official Castillo. The United number 9 was again in the thick of the action after 22 minutes. His header just went wide of the target. The home side then won a free kick 25 meters from the Vidi goal on 31 minutes. Strachan rolled the ball to Whiteside, who shot just wide of the right post. Olsen and Stapleton had chances in the closing stages of the first half, but neither went in, and the two sides were locked on 0-0 at the break. 

Vaszil replaced Csongradi in the second half due to an injury. Manchester continued on from where they had left off in the first half. The chances came one after the other. Gidman and Stapleton both had shots at goal, but without breaking the deadlock. There was another goal ruled offside on 53 minutes for the home side. Vidi dealt with the pressure until the 61st minute, when a Strachan cross was headed home by the arriving Frank Stapleton to make it 1-0.

The English side did not sit back, while Videoton tried to defend the score. A Hughes head on 65 minutes and a Strachan shot after 70 minutes again failed to find the net. Another Mark Hughes header after 74 minutes produced a great save from Disztl in the visiting goal. The final chance of the game fell to United, with an Olsen cross being met by Strachan, who sent his effort over the bar.

The final scoreline was 1-0 to Manchester United, with there being hope for Vidi in the second leg.  

Author: David Rechnitzer

More news